It's been a long time since I've made fajitas, and I was having a craving! I used make them all the time and then Don told me he doesn't like to "make his food - it's too much work"REALLY? 'Cause I sliced all the veges and chicken, seasoned them, put them on a hot grill, even grilled the wrap!!!! Then I put the shredded cheese, tomatoes, guacamole, sour cream, etc... in serving dishes and set them out on the table, but it's "too much work" to assemble the fajita and eat it?? Should I mention I will be cleaning up after all that too? Hmmmm.... Back off ladies - he's all mine hahaha
So in an effort to make dinner easier for my wonderful hubs, I decided to satisfy my craving with a chicken fajita pasta dish. This pasta dish tastes just like fajitas! I did think about putting it over rice, because Don LOVES rice! The only problem with that is I don't love it - not the taste, the consistency (any Zombieland fans out there?)
Chicken Fajita Pasta
- 1 (16 ounce) package Penne Pasta
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 1yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic freshly minced
- 2-3 chicken breasts, sliced
- 1-2 limes, juiced
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped oregano
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese and Diced Avocado (optional)
- Heat a Grill Pan to 350 degrees F. Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Put 2 teaspoons olive oil into the Grill Pan and add the sliced onions and peppers. Let them grill without moving for 2-3 minutes so they get a nice char on them. Season with 1 teaspoon cumin and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes and stir to combine. Continue to grill for another 2-3 minutes or until the desired tenderness. When the peppers are almost just the way you like them, toss in 1 tablespoon garlic and cook another 30 seconds to a minute and then remove from the Grill Pan to a plate and set aside.
- Season the sliced chicken with salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes.
- Put 2 teaspoons olive oil into the Grill Pan and add the seasoned chicken. Allow to grill, untouched, for 3-4 minutes until the chicken gets a nice char. Then turn over and allow the other side to grill for 2-3 minutes more or until cooked through. Cooking time will vary depending on how thick or thin you sliced the chicken, so keep that in mind.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, add the veggies back to the Grill Pan and season with the juice of 1 lime, 1/2 tablespoon oregano, 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste. Add more lime if you prefer, and if you like a little more heat, add another 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes. Garnish with cheddar cheese and avocados. Enjoy!
- Tip: I really love diced up avocado in this dish, but be sure you add it to each plate right before serving. You don't want the avocados sitting in any leftovers you might have as it will go bad quickly and ruin the dish.
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Total time: 25 mins.